Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Patience

Grant, there is long-term patience and short-term patience, and tonight evidently I have neither.

I am so sorry that I lost my patience with you tonight. I know it's tough for you to fall asleep on your own and you do best when you've got a warm body next to you. Tonight, my patience gave out after you had gotten up several times and then couldn't keep the light off. I jumped up and let you know how frustrated I was. I went downstairs to let off steam so I'm not sure when you fell asleep. Hopefully it was soon, but I'm sorry. Your daddy tries to understand where you are coming from but as you know, many times I fail and tonight was one of those times.

As for long-term, one of the most frustrating things about your diet and supplements is the length of time it takes to see what works and what doesn't. To truly see what an addition or subtraction does, it can take days, weeks, or months. You don't really know this, but we had some more tests done to help determine the best supplements for your body. While we were waiting for the results, we let some of the old supplements run out since they cost some money and we didn't want to spend that money if it wasn't necessary. But, as we did that, we noticed some changes in you - you weren't responding as much to us and the "fog" seemed to be thickening again. We bought all the supplements and got back to the every night routine and it has really made a positive difference - the supplements clearly make a difference in your life.

Now, as you are very aware, we've let you eat pizza again. It has been so fun to watch you eat it! We are testing a few of the foods that have been restricted from you for over a year now, and the first is dairy. You seem to be doing well, but one of the issues has been your trouble getting to sleep. It seems like we've gone back to the way it was a few years ago when you HAD to have someone next to you to fall asleep. Is it the dairy? Or, is it because we were out Friday and Saturday night and you didn't get your supplements? Or is it totally unrelated? I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you to feel changes in your body and not be able to tell us about them. I wish we could just change everything in a week and be done with it, but unfortunately it just takes a lot of time to see what things are affecting you. Tonight, I don't have the patience to plan that out, to wait for the results.

I'm sorry that I'm having such a hard time being patient, Grant, but I sure am glad you are patient with me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. If only this could be simpler and more immediate.

It is always amazing to me how much love and forgiveness TJ shows for us. There is no grudge holding with him like with CR when we weren't as patient as we would like to be. He welcomes us back with open arms, as I'm sure that Grant does with you.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Club 166 said...

Patience is something that I could certainly use a bit more of.

As the kids get wound up prior to Christmas, my wife prepares for hosting company over the next two days, and some of my extended family get stressed out over the holidays, it is always in short supply around here.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Joe

Unknown said...

I'm just cruising through Autism Bloggers. My name is Chrisd and I have an 11yo w/asperger's syndrome. We did the diet for a while, mainly because he has migraines and we wanted to see if it would help. It really didn't.

We asked him if it seemed to help him and he said kinda. ??

We are thinking about doing some different type of supplements.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.