Friday, December 07, 2007

Netflix loves me

We've got the cheapest Netflix plan - 2 a month, and we rarely use them both. We used to have the 2-at-a-time plan but then we had to go with a monthly plan at Hollywood Video since that is Grant's major reward for behavior at school. It seems like every time we send a movie back to Netflix, we forget to check our queue and update it with something we want to see so the next movie seems to always be a surprise. It usually ends up being something one of us added a year or so ago and had since completely forgotten about. The movie I watched tonight, the one that had been collecting dust for at least 3 weeks, was one of those.

Fortunately, Netflix smiled on me this time, leaving The Astronaut Farmer in our mailbox for viewing at our discretion. I loved it. I'm such a sap for feel-good, dream-big, change-the-world, strong-family, slightly-outrageous-plot movies. This one had all of that and more and, like this post from a few weeks ago, it had me pondering if I still have dreams to live out. Sure, I have dreams for my family, but are they big enough? How sad is it though that a couple of hours later I still don't have any inkling of my dream? Assuming my final age is anywhere near the average of 77, I'm a little over half way there - when I'm just about to shut my eyes for the last time, what is it that I will look back on and say "I did it"?

What's your big dream or goal? Are you on track to accomplish it?

Before I start building a rocket ship in my backyard I better go check my Netflix queue to make sure the next movie doesn't make me think - any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was recently at a party with a 93 yr old man who had lost his wife the year before. He told me his story--which was a love story of 64 years. He told me about all the things his wife had accomplished and how proud of her he was--most of it unpaid work but more important he felt than his own teaching career at a University. I could have listened to him all night but suddenly he came out of his story telling state and asked if I were married and I said I was and had recently celebrated my 34 wedding anniversary. "Well" he said, "that's a start."

My grandma used to say that we can have it all if we live long enough but not all at once.

I don't think that we know we are living our dreams sometimes when we are in them because they unfold gradually--but I imagine that looking back, we will see that we were living our dreams. That we were doing something pretty wonderful, bit by bit, day after day.