Monday, December 10, 2007

An anniversary for us geeks

Hearing the news today of the 25th anniversary of the Commodore 64 brought the memories flooding back... I haven't written about this much, if at all, but I'm a hopeless tech geek. And it all started the day my Dad brought home the C64. I tore into the User's manual and starting writing BASIC, then the Reference Guide which probably became the most worn book I've ever owned (and that's saying something). I was completely fascinated not only by what others were doing with it, but what I could do with it. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of my Sophomore and Junior years were spent in front of that keyboard, and it's not an understatement to say my life today would be completely different without it.

Thanks, Dad - who would have thought that one purchase would have had such an effect on me and my future. And thanks, Commodore, for making that 1st useful, affordable computer!

1 comment:

Maddy said...

Well that's just the kind of anniversary that we should celebrate.
Cheers

This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.