Saturday, September 01, 2007

Pool School

So this is what post #100 feels like. This number has been preventing me from posting for several days; I wanted #100 to be cool, special, unique but I couldn't/wouldn't make the time for it. Yeesh - what a goof I am. I started this blog to write about Grant's progress so it is only fitting that #100 focus on Grant.

It's been roasting here for the past week - in the triple digits all of last week so we've practically been living in the pool. I never cease to be amazed at how 'at home' Grant is in the pool. When he is in the water, it's as if the world around him settles down and he can see and feel his environment in such a calming way.

The 'overload signs' are non-existent in the pool - the pressure clapping, the fingers behind his ears, the rote 'babbling' of lines from his favorite shows, the list goes on and on.

The 'calm signs' are a joy to behold - big smiles, eagerness for participating in pool activities together, feeling at ease around other kids, no hitting, laughter. I'm smiling just writing this list.

He often will ask me to go under water with him; it's almost like he's saying 'Come, see my world, Dad'. Under water, life is quiet - very quiet. Any sounds from up above are just muffled vibrations. There are no bright lights - indeed, even sight is muffled. While my 5 senses are being deprived, my proprioceptive sense chimes in with 'all is well' - my body feels wrapped tight with water and nothing is poking, prodding, tickling my skin. We look at each other and laugh before we shoot back to the top for some air.

If only we could bring some part of this into the rest of his daily life. If only he could tell us what is it in the 'outside' world that brings him agitation. Maybe it's time to bring the speech therapists and his teachers over each day and we'll have school in the pool!! Imagine the advancements he would make!

3 comments:

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

That is amazing. Water can be so calming. I never thought about its qualities to be theraputic. Perhaps water therapy? If the environment is too abrasive and deters away from learning, maybe change the enviroment? I wonder what kind of success we would see then? You maybe on to something.

Kristin

Mom without a manual said...

Hey I agree. That was part of the Pivotal Response Treatment (PRT) concept...natural environment and all. I say give pool school a try!

Then copyright it and make a fortune!

Steve said...

check out this post for more cool pool.