Friday, August 18, 2006

She loves him...

I just happened to run across a post proclaiming today 'Love Thursday'. Well, how can you argue with that? Besides, it gave me a good excuse to rummage through some pictures.

How does this picture portray love, you ask? On the right is my daughter, Cassidy. On the left is Mr. S (for privacy), the director of Missions at our church. Mr. S. is presenting Cassidy with the 1st annual "On a Mission" award, given to one who has stepped out of their comfort zone, out of their day to day life, to make a difference in our world.

A few years back, not long after Grant was diagnosed with autism, Cassidy began to make things. At first, it was 'Dad, let's make something out of wood.' 'Dad, let's make something out of cardboard.' 'Dad, let's make something with this feather, glue, and paper' You get the idea... She also started making bracelets with little kids' beads. Not long after, she said, 'Mom & Dad, I want to sell my things out in the front, like a garage sale. I want to raise money to help Grant'. tears

So, we would put a card table out by the sidewalk and she would set up all of the things she had made. Now, we don't live on a very busy street, so aside from the occasional neighbor or jogger walking by, sales were very small. She was discouraged.

Staci saw that Cassidy had an eye for making these bracelets and offered to take her to the bead store to see what they could find. The rest is history. Once Cassidy figured out that she could get really nice beads (and whatever else goes on jewelry) and people (ladies) would buy them, there was no stopping her. At first, it was the card table out in front. The new jewelry helped, but still not enough foot traffic. Next up, the Christmas-time Dickens' Faire at our church. She bought half of a booth with a good friend of ours and sold her bracelets. Now we're talking! I think she sold about $400 worth of bracelets that first time, Christmas, 2004. Last year, she had her own booth and did a couple of other shows as well. She made around $8-900 last year; with a few other gifts (including the On a Mission award) she gave well over $1000 to Cure Autism Now. This year, her room has turned into a jewelry factory. She now makes necklaces, watches, earrings, you name it. Oh yeah, she's 11.

So, this is my story of love today. Cassidy has spent countless hours making this jewelry, and always with one thing in mind: She loves her brother so much and she will do anything she can to help him and other kids with autism. God bless her.

2 comments:

NatD said...

Ok, that seriously brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful, special daughter you have, and what a great sister she is to her brother. That truly is a shining example of love.

PS: Have you ever thought about setting up a website or something for her to try and sell these online? I have bought beaded bracelets made by a little girl w/a brain condition from her website, with proceeds going to find a cure for her condition. Or, if you have a way I could purchase a bracelet/necklace/whatever from your daughter, I would love to help, and get some fun jewelry in the process.

A link to my email should be in my Blogger profile.

Wendy said...

My oldest daughter is 11 as well. She has volunteered at her school to play with the younger children diagnosed with autism during recess. I can't tell you how proud that makes me. Well, I don't need to tell you...you experience it first hand with your Cassidy (ironically, Rachel was almost named Cassidy - I couldn't decide between the two!).