Friday, August 04, 2006

Love

Usually my wife does the long-term worrying - what will happen to Grant when we're gone, will he ever talk, will he have friends? I tend to stay in the day-to-day; it's just too crazy for me to look out farther than a couple of months at a time.

But today... I'm finishing The Memory Keepers Daughter in which a very minor part of the story is a girl with Downs falling in love at age 24. The descriptions of their unmasked affection and unabashed hope forced to me ponder the future. Will Grant find love? Will he feel attraction? Will he be loved? Will he experience heartbreak?

I know my other 2 will experience this part of life. Cassidy, at 11, is very close (too close for my own good). Owen, at 4, will be an early casanova; it's obvious to anybody who knows him.

But Grant... I guess I should worry about whether he will ever experience friendship. I do hope that will come long before love. When will that come? How will it start? What will click in his mind to realize that he can give of himself to enrich another person's life, and to realize that he can receive joy from another?

Ok, that's enough of that. I'll be dreaming about it tonight, I'm sure. But tomorrow, it's back to the day-to-day for me.

No comments: