Monday, August 14, 2006

Run like Chicken Little

The whole family came out to watch my softball game tonight, a rarity indeed. It's usually pretty tough to keep the boys occupied during the game, but it's important that they come out and learn how to act in that situation. And as the night ended, the report was actually a good one. For the most part they hung around the stands, and they got to play at the little playground for a couple of innings.

Once, when I was up to bat, Owen was cheering for me nice and loud. Staci told me later that he walked up the bleachers after I got a hit saying 'My daddy is a cool kid'. A bit later, he said 'Daddy runs like 'Chicken Little'! Hmmm, I think maybe he's watched that one a few too many times...

After the game, Grant walked up to me and grabbed my mitt. He put it on his hand, trying to make it look right. I gave him a ball and he put it in the mitt. He was interested for about a minute and then it was gone. It's those types of fleeting moments that can make his silence so maddening. What is going on in there?

One time, it's probably been 2 years ago now..., I was watching a baseball game on TV. If I remember right, it was a pretty big game at the end of the season and I was really trying to watch at least some of it. Grant came over, sat in my lap, and watched 1-2 innings with me. It was almost surreal to have him sit with me and just watch a game. No squealing, no stimming, just hanging out with Dad. Even crazier though, he then took me outside, found a bat and ball, and wanted me to play with him! We played for probably 10 minutes, definitely a record. And that was that...

Another time, probably also 2-3 years ago, he was in the hot tub in the backyard. He starts yelling 'Mommmmmy!', 'Moooommmmmmyyyyy!'. Now, this is a boy who doesn't talk. At that point, he had not said any of our names since he was 2 years old. And, since then, we've never heard anything like that out of him again.

What is it that opens those windows in a child? What is it that closes them back up again?
After watching Treasure Hunters tonight, it's like Grant's mind is a cryptex. Once in a great while, all the dials get opened in the right combination and the secret is revealed for one fantastic fleeting moment. And then it is shut again, with no clue as to the next opening and no clue as to what will be revealed.

No comments: