Friday, August 03, 2007

little stuff

Over the past week, Grant has shown a (spark) of interest in playing baseball. Well, maybe not "playing", more like hitting and thowing the ball. Well, maybe spark is a strong word because his interest lasts for about 2 minutes. But, hey, it's something! He'll go out in the garage and get the plastic bat and ball and present it to me to show me he wants to play (sometimes he will even say 'ball'). He holds the bat pretty well and will hit it if I throw the ball right at the bat. He then switches with me and throws the ball to my bat. Right now, he wants to do this from about 2 feet a way which makes the scene pretty funny looking. After about 2-3 throws/swings he completely loses interest and doesn't want to play anymore. We'll build on that though.

This morning, he groggily walked up to me after waking up (I was making our bed). I said 'Good Morning Grant'. He returned a "Guh morn" - wow! I don't think I've ever heard him respond to that before. Maybe he was so tired he didn't have his autism filter on yet. :)

2 comments:

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Gabe loves baseball too! He gets frustrated when I pitch to him , I'm not very good (lol), daddy does a much better job. We got him a tee ball stand, but he'll hit the stand and the ball at the same time:o)

That's fantastic about him saying ball and showing interest in a sport. Gabe loves balls, they have always been a center of interest in his playing. No wonder he was drawn also to baseball.

Take care,
Gabe

Anonymous said...

The good morning greeting is awesome! Great that he is showing some interest in baseball, too. TJ inherited my lack of coordination, plus the motor planning issues related to autism. Thus, he has very little interest in learning to bat a ball around. His t-ball stand has been collecting dust :-(