Wednesday, July 25, 2007

summer nights

It's been awhile since I've written about Grant riding his bike, it's just been so long since we made any progress. We've had the training wheels back on since October and he's refused to ride without my hand on the bike. But tonight, on a walk/ride to the park with the family, I finally got my hand off the bike. He seemed interested in riding tonight so I really pushed it with him. He kept trying to put my hand on, but I kept moving it about 6 inches off and he kept riding even when he wasn't happy about it. Ah, the tiniest of steps forward, but after all this time, it seems huge.

Aside from the bike, there were several things Grant did tonight which struck me with hope, right between the eyes. It wasn't that long ago that he absolutely refused to wear a helmet. Of course, when he wasn't that interested in the bike to begin with, there wasn't much benefit (to him) to wear the helmet. Then, one day, it was as if God touched him and he just put it on, as if it were never an issue before - and it has never been an issue since. Every time I see him put it on though, I remember how far he's come, and I'll never forget it.

At the park, he did 5 bars on the monkey bars all by himself! I've seen him hang on the bars before, and I've helped him across many times, but tonight he made 5 bars all by himself.

In general, he just plays so well at the park now. Climbing, jumping, sliding, swinging, running - he looks so 'comfortable'. It was just a few short years ago that the park was a major struggle. He didn't want to sit on the swing. He was very unsure walking across the platforms and would often just sit and it wouldn't be long before crying and screaming ensued. A few years and many, many trips to the park later, you would never know he ever had any issues with the park.

To top it off, this evening was a beautiful summer night here in the South Bay - clear, still, warm, and best of all, memorable.

1 comment:

GClef1970 said...

HOORAY!!!!!