Friday, July 27, 2007

Not just the houses

"It's expensive to live here in the Bay Area" - we hear that over and over, ad nauseum. Clearly the housing prices are out of sight, but we're used to that. When we were looking at moving to Raleigh a little over a year ago, comparable houses were a little less than half of what they cost here, and in many cases they were closer to a third of the price.

But, tonight, the cost of living here hit me like never before.

We've got a new pizza place here in town - Sal's Pizza. We hadn't been there yet (we eat pizza 3-4 times a month, it's usually a staple on Friday nights) so I did a quick Google search to get the phone number and a menu. They didn't have the menu online for our new store, but it turns out they have several on the East coast so I checked out their menu. Hey - $9.99 for a large cheese pizza! Very nice! A few minutes later I noticed that they also have a new store in a nearby town, but the cheese pizza is $15.99!

Six Dollars!!!

The pizza is 37% more expensive here than it is on the East coast. Same pizza, same store, 6 bucks more.

Ouch - now I know it IS more expensive to live here!


PS - the pizza was really good! It definitely made it's way into our regular rotation.

1 comment:

Chelle Y. said...

Hey, I know what you mean about it being too expensive living here! I live here too! I have just decided to order Little Caesars off of Monterey because it is cheaper. I'll have to try Sal's though. I have never heard of it, but I do love our new Target! And, Red Robin is coming to town too! Whoo-who

I found you on Agent M's board. She is one of my best friends and I met her when she lived here. What a small world!

www.chelleyoung.com