Sunday, March 11, 2007

Autism around the world

After a fun but tiring weekend I sat down to catch up on a few blogs. Mom-NOS is always my first stop, and her post was a good laugh. Kim Stagliano's blog was next, and the last for tonight. I'm not sure how well I'm going to sleep, if at all, after reading it.

Tonight's post - An Autism Calling - was a re-posting of, apparently, a friend of a friend's blog. Autism around the world - it's a thought that has often struck me, especially when others ask me about autism. It's not just a US thing; it's a world-wide issue. The rise is occurring in both developed and undeveloped countries. But while we here in the US struggle with our local school districts, we, for the most part, care for our children. We love them and do our best for them.

However, how many tens of thousands of kids, just like my own son, are struggling to survive because of their condition? What would my son's life be like in North Korea? Would he even still be alive at age 7? What would his life be like in another country? Would he be chained up because he can't talk and he can't pay attention like the other kids?

We live a blessed life, and I thank God for it. We spent the day, a warm March day, playing in the pool. We do our little part for the autism community, and the larger special needs community, by running Club Kangaroo. We must continue to do our little part. But -- the problem is so much bigger, and after reading this post, so much more desperate.

Where do we begin? How do we help? Which organizations are trying to help across the world?

The thought of any child starving, suffering, and even dying because of autism is too much to comprehend. There must be a way to help.

2 comments:

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Steve, I've winging some melatonin your way! Sorry if you didn't sleep last night. That post is indeed powerful. I'm so glad Tami asked me to run it. I can hear the siren - its ambulances running over my kids to get to everyone else in the world while they are left to languish....

Yours,

KIM

LAA and Family said...

I have found reading about autism in other cultures fascinating in the book "Unstrange Minds." While dealing with autism is certainly a challenge, I thank God every day that I'm dealing with it in this age and not the age where autistic people were considered "possessed" or "insane" and the norm was to institutionalize them. I am in awe of Temple Grandin's mother for ignoring convention in how she raised her daughter. What a great blog you have, another one to check out regularly!