Monday, February 19, 2007

Throw Me, Daddy

Grant and I made up this game "Throw me, Daddy" a couple of months ago. He loves to be thrown, tossed, twirled - all that fun stuff. One day, he pulled me over to his bed and somehow got the point across that he wanted me to pick him up and throw him on the bed. Over time, we've learned that once we have a new activity that's "motivating", we need to require him to use words to request it. So, every time he wanted to be thrown, he had to say "Throw me, Daddy". I used some hand/arm motions so that he would understand, especially the word "throw". He picked up on it pretty quick, although he needed to be reminded to say it about 70% of the time.

We played every few days and the words continued to be hit and miss, although he definitely understood the words.

However, yesterday, after not playing the game for a couple of weeks, he pulled me to his bed and immediately said, "Throw me, Daddy" complete with the original hand motions. No prompting, just words.

Needless to say, Grant flew a little higher and farther after that.

No comments: