Friday, February 23, 2007

Big words

The announcement brought tears to our speech therapist's eyes as she gasped "That was our goal!" For 5+ years now, it's been our dream, way beyond a goal, to hear Grant call us Mommy and Daddy. Truly, it is a selfish dream. It has almost everything to do with hearing our son say our names. But, aside from that, it's a huge step in his path towards real communication.

Yesterday, that dream came true.

For about the past 7 months, he has been able to name us when shown a picture, or when pointing to ourselves. For the past few months, he's been saying Daddy in reference to the games we play, such as "Throw me, Daddy" and "Go, Daddy".

Yesterday, it was different.

As we were both leaving for work in the morning, we both arrived at the same time to say goodbye to him (the kids are on break this week).

"Goodbye, Grant", said Staci.

"Bye... Mommy", returned Grant.

"Goodbye, Grant", I said.

"Bye... Daddy", returned Grant.

No prompting, no pointing, no labelling. Just words - delivered the way he wanted to say them, and just the way we wanted to hear them.

Pinch me.

3 comments:

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Congratulations!!!!! What a huge step! It felt like a long time for Gabe to call us mommy and daddy too. It was one of the best gifts I had ever been given in my life. It wasn't just a word for me either. It meant so much more. It was a connection, a recognition that I was his mommy, I mattered to him, that I was special. I will never forget that day.

Cheers to being called mommy and daddy!

Kristin

GClef1970 said...

AWESOME!!!!!!! You brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Amazing. You've waited so long!