Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Catching up

Sometimes time flies so quickly by it seems like the clock hands are going to spin right off the wall. Before I let them spin any faster, here are some happenings from this week.

After our team meeting last Thursday, I decided it was time to put training wheels back on Grant's bike. It's been far too long since we made any progress and we just needed to start over again. Earlier in the week, I had made just the opposite decision for Owen and had taken his training wheels off. While I was driving home on Friday, I must have had a really bad reaction to lunch because I thought I would be able to take the boys to the park on their bikes. In a moment of delirium, I figured Grant would just magically take to his new training wheels and I would be able to hold Owen's bike while he learned the trick of riding on two wheels. Um, no. Grant still did not want me to let go of the bike so, for the most part, I ended up walking/running to the park holding the back of Grant's bike while also holding on to Owen's little bike (w/o training wheels). Needless to say, my back will never be the same.

On Sunday, I had the opportunity to speak to the congregation about Club Kangaroo. Pastor was teaching on parenting and he wanted to highlight Club Kangaroo as an example of how we are supporting both parents and kids. I probably was not quite as prepared as I could have been, but the response was really great. We had 3 new requests for helper applications, and one new application for a child. Great stuff!

Sunday was also a day of hard work (Sabbath anyone?) since the pool guys were supposed to fill in the trenches with dirt so the concrete work could begin on Monday. Since that didn't happen and we didn't want to delay our concrete work, I spent about 5 hours digging, swinging the pick, spreading, and moving dirt around the back yard. My back was already on the verge of meltdown from Friday's bike escapade, but we got the job done and work has been going strong on the concrete this week. Hopefully we'll have something to take pictures of by the end of the week and I'll post them here.

Today, one of Grant's paras was eager to tell me a "Grant story" when I dropped him off this morning. On Monday at recess, he initiated involvement with a group of boys who were playing with a ball. All on his own, he went up to them (wow!). They were nice enough (yeah!) to hand him the ball and ask if he wanted to play. Apparently, it looked like he was going to run away with the ball, but then he turned around and threw it back to them. They bounced the ball to him and it caught his finger and bent it back (ouch!). He didn't play any more after that, but what a wonderful new experience for him!

No comments: