Saturday, July 29, 2006

Other perspectives...

Since I just started this blog, I thought I'd look around and see if other families are doing the same. Uh, yeah! However, I was a bit surprised by some of it. For example, one of my earlier posts was regarding the short autism documentary done by Autism Speaks. I found it very moving when I watched it originally and much of it hit home for me as a parent.
One of the better blogs I found was Mom - Not Otherwise Specified and it led me to a ring of autism blogs. The theme was quite surprising to me. We've been in the world of autism for 4+ years now; I've read a ton of books, newsgroups, been to meetings, worked with the schools, blah, blah... but this is really the first time I've run into such a strong opposition to many of the popular autism treatments and hypothetical causes. In addition, there is a strong backlash to the movie mentioned above; completely unbeknownst to me until last night.

I think it is too simplistic to blame Autism Speaks for making their movie "emotional". Honestly, I identified with 90% of what the parents said in that movie at some point over the last 4 years. As for the comments that parents said some disturbing things, that's just life. Just as autism is a "spectrum", we've run across just as wide a spectrum of parents. Some, in fact most, have accepted this unexpected path change in their life and are working so hard to help their child. Others, though are not prepared to accept that change, or even accept the diagnosis. Still others have a very hard time dealing with the day-to-day struggles. Our 4 year old is a delight, but he's also very stubborn, independant, and defiant. Dealing with those traits tests our patience to say the least, and our skills as parents. But those struggles just aren't the same as those we have with Grant. We know what it's like to be stubborn, defiant, and independant. But, we don't know what it's like to not have communications skills, not desire friendships, to struggle with the constant sights and sounds of our daily being. It is this difference that makes it a struggle.

Lastly, many of the blogs reference a movement by some of the older folks in the autism - "we don't need a cure!". Ok, fine. If you don't, then who is forcing it down your throat? But many, many of these kids do need a cure, the unborn need a cure. It's not just an issue of being socially unaware or different, my child can't communicate! We have been working for 5 years trying to get him to talk again - yes, that's right - he used to talk. And, then it all went away, like a dream, an image that sits just outside your range of vision. You know it's there, but you can't see it or touch it. These kids need to be able to communicate, they need to be able to learn, they need to be able to work, they need to be able to make their own decisions - none of those things will happen if we leave them alone. More importantly, whatever you believe about the causes, there is absolutely an environmental aspect to this problem. If there is no cure, the numbers will continue to grow and the needs will become so great (if they aren't already) that the needs will go unmet. A cure is needed.

No comments: